Saturday, November 6, 2010

Scrumptious

I have intense passion in cooking. Compare to you (women!) who don't even know how to cook, I've started cooking since I was seven! Yes, when I was in Standard 1. I bet by that time you were still crying in school! Well, not much to be proud of, anyway. It's more to 'scrambling' rather than actual 'cooking'. As I told you earlier, I've so called food orgasm... in eggs.


I have intense pleasure in savouring fried chicken eggs, to the extent that I wouldn't mind not having anything else. That's what Grandma told me. I wasn't picky, so she found that it was easy to raise me up. Especially when I scrambled it all by myself, with her supervisions of course. Grandma a.k.a my sous-chef had once left me a remark that I could still remember till now,

"You've strong willpower 意志, boy."

Put some veggies to make it look beautiful

I didn't know whether she said that due to the hardship that I had to bear, or the effort that I put, but I would take that as a compliment, anyway. It somehow motivated me to experiment with different styles. I stirred tomato sauce, soy ketchup, and later oyster sauce. The best part was when I succeeded in making the whole meal.. Apart from me, who eats plain omelette, anyway? So, I added some rice and made fried rice out of it.

The passion didn't simply stop there. Around 4 years later (approx. 11 years old), Grandma sent me to Dad. I was blessed that he owned a restaurant (or bistro? pub? I couldn't really remember). Dad was busy with administrating, so he left me in a capable hand of his worker, Albert. In no time, I found myself with the fire around the wok - working on Watan ho, fried noodles and the other delicacies. If it wasn't that impressive enough, let me tell you that I did fly the noodles into thin air and catch them back into fire. I bet it sounds like a kung-fu movie that you've watched recently, huh?

Some gourmets of mine. Sayy whaat?

During my days there, I contributed 'Iceman & Hotland' for our Western food menu. It sounds silly, I know, but hey, it's my own recipe! Oh yes, Albert is more than a cordon bleu to me. He is a master chef, AND a brother to me. He would prepare some delicious breakfast and later send me to school.

Iceman & Hotland

Besides cooking, I was a good eater, too. Although I'm a Sino, I enjoyed Indian traditional fare as well. I just couldn't stop ordering roti canai from the stall next to Dad's restaurant. It was finger licking good, especially the curry. Well, the taste couldn't beat mine yet. When I was 14, I cooked some chicken curry, and that surprised my teacher. I told her, "kacang saja." (Malay: just like eating beans - so easy!)

Tantalizing Chicken Curry - beat that!

And beans reminds me of a bitter memory! My friends came over to my house last time to taste my gourmet meals. While chitchatting to them, I accidentally overcooked the green bean soup. The first time in history, I swear! To cover up the humiliation that I just made, I simply called it 'smoky green bean soup'. It's funny that I heard no complaints. They just gobbled the whole bowl!

Have I told you am a versatile cook, yet? I'm good at cooking Malay (rendang, can you imagine?) and Baba Nyonya cuisines, as well. I regret, nevertheless, my incapability in preparing traditional delicacies, namely 'Nian Gao' (kuih bakul / sticky cake) that is usually served during CNY, and 'ko-chung' (a dumpling).

Hot & Spicy Rendang - Yummy!

I planned to pursue my studies in cooking course initially, but Grandma objected it. I had to surrender to her wish. Yet, I never yielded in cooking. Last time I became the chef at Jason's house. It was really a pleasure seeing them enjoying my homemade foods.

Ps. 八仙过海,各显神通 ღ Everyone has his/her own powers (i.e. talents). What's yours?

0 comments: